The following subjects which fall within List I of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India:
- Industries, the control of which by the Union is declared by Parliament by law to be expedient in public interest as far as these relate to development of livestock and birds feed and dairy and poultry products with the limitation that in regard to the development of industries. The functions of the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying do not go further that the formulation of the demand and fixation of targets.
- Promotion and development of livestock, dairy and poultry and its associated activities, including infrastructure development, marketing, exports and institutional arrangements etc.
- Welfare of persons engaged in activities relating to livestock, dairy and Poultry.
- Liaison and cooperation with international organizations in matters relating to livestock and poultry development.
- Livestock Census.
- Livestock Statistics.
- Matters relating to loss of livestock due to natural calamities.
- Regulation of livestock importation, animal quarantine and certification.
- Gaushalas and Gausadans.
- Matters relating to pounds and cattle trespass.
- Prevention of cruelly to animals.
- The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 (59 of 1960).
The following subjects which fall within List III of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India (as regards legislation only):
- Profession of veterinary practice.
- Prevention of the extension from one State to another of infectious or contagious diseases or pests affecting animals and birds.
- Conversion of indigenous breeds; introduction and maintenance of Central Herd Books for indigenous breeds of livestock.
16- Pattern of financial assistance to various State undertakings, Dairy Development Schemes through State agencies/Co-operative Unions.
For the Union territories the subjects mentioned in parts I and II above, so far as they exist in regard to those territories and, in addition, to the following subjects which fall within List II of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India:
- Preservation, protection and improvement of stocks and prevention of diseases of animals and birds, veterinary training and practice.
- Courts of Wards.
- Insurance of livestock and birds.
- Matters relating to cattle utilization and slaughter.
- Fodder development.